4 Tips for preventing itchy, flaky skinA common symptom associated with psoriasis is a build-up of rough, flaky, scaly skin, which happens when the outer skin cells are reproduced too quickly.
Consider these simple tips for taking better care of your skin, which can help to bring your symptoms under control:
1. Keep your skin well moisturizedWell-moisturized skin can not only reduce flaking and related symptoms, but may also help maintain the effect of your treatment. 1
Avoid products that are scented and consider a gentle body wash instead of soap, which can be quite drying.
2. Lock-in skin moisture after a shower or bathWhen you take a bath or shower, always wash in lukewarm water. Hot water increases blood flow to the skin and can make scaling and flaking worse.1 When drying your skin don’t rub, as friction can cause the production of more skin cells. Instead, just gently pat your skin dry.
Finally, use skin moisturizer immediately afterwards so that the moisture in your skin becomes ‘locked in’.
3. Choose the right personal care productsTry to use soaps, shampoos and similar products that are kind to your skin. Avoid products that are scented and consider a gentle body wash instead of soap, which can be quite drying. 2
4. Find a treatment that works for youRemember, everyone is different and some treatments work better for some people than others. If you feel that the treatment you are using isn’t showing the benefits you had hoped for, ask your doctor whether there are other options that you could try.
- http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/psoriasis/basics/lifestyle-home-remedies/con-20030838, p. 1, Last accessed date: 11 Aug 2015
- http://www.psoriasis.org/page.aspx?pid=411, p. 1, Last accessed date: 11 Aug 2015