This content reflects the views of the individual blogger and is not intended to advise you about your health. Always seek advice from your doctor or other qualified healthcare professionals.
Here are some top tips for living well with psoriasis this summer.
1. Getting ready for summer – Treatment review time• Summer is the perfect time to book a psoriasis review appointment with your GP, nurse or dermatologist.
• Talk to your GP about your treatments – is there new one to try? Find one that works for you.
2. Planning your summer wardrobe• Look out for clothing that is comfortable, light to wear and made from fabric that won’t irritate your skin.
• If you don’t want to cover up, you don’t have to! It’s your body and your choice.
3. Summer exercise and getting back in the swim• Make the most of your summer evenings – walking or running in the fresh air may be beneficial for your psoriasis.
• If you enjoy swimming, don’t let your psoriasis hold you back.
• Speak to your doctor about how to best use emollients as part of your swimming routine on holiday.
4. Sunshine: Friend or foe• Follow the Sun Smart rules - protect your skin from sunburn by using a combination of shade, clothing and sunscreen. Ensure that you wear a minimum of factor 30.
5. Taking your treatments on holiday• Plan ahead and check how much of your treatments you will need to take away with you, whether you need a letter from a GP and what security restrictions the airline/ airport may have.
• Try not to skimp on treatments when on holiday, pack enough to last you.
• Carry essential medication in your hand luggage.
6. Keeping your cool• Prevent overheating and try to expose yourself slowly to a new climate.
• Keep yourself hydrated and drink lots of water.
• Keep your bedroom cool at night by using a fan.
7. Bugs and bites• Ask your GP or pharmacist for the best insect repellents and treatments to manage bites
• Try and stay covered at dawn and dusk
• Try spraying insect repellent on to clothes/ nightwear/ bedding instead of directly on the skin, or use a plug in insect repellent
UK/IE MAT-19042. Date of preparation: August 2018
Article developed in partnership with LEO Pharma.